1861 - 1865 - Civil War Years

  • September 25, 1861— Antoine LeClaire dies
  • 1861—The congregation of B'Nai Israel is formed in Davenport
  • 1861—Camp McClellan is established on the present-day site of the Village of East Davenport
  • April 25, 1863-- 278 Native Americans convicted of participating in the the Sioux Uprising in Minnesota (also called the Minnesota Massacre) were emprisoned at Camp McClellan
  • June 1863First National Bank opens at 2nd and Main Streets
  • June 29, 1863—The First National Bank opens in the Corbin & Dow bank building on the corner of Western Avenue and 6th Street in Davenport. This bank secures the very first certificate issued by the United States under the new National Bank Act.
  • August 31, 1863—The Davenport City Relief society organizes. Mayor John E. Henry is president, and George L'oste Davenport (son of Colonel George Davenport) is treasurer.
  • December 1863—First Confederate prisoners incarcerated on Rock Island (now Arsenal Island), More than 12,000 Confederate soldiers passed through the Confederate Prison Camp before the end of the War. The 108 U.S. Colored Infantry was assigned guard duty.
  • December 1863-- Camp McClellan is divided along the western road traveling through it in order to make the Sioux prison separate from the training camp. This 'new' camp is renamed Camp Kearney, though it is still familiarly called Camp McClellan.
  • August 31, 1864--The cornerstone of Griswold College chapel is laid.
  • March 14, 1865—Bryant & Stratton Commercial Business College opens on the corner of Brady and 2nd Streets in Davenport.
  • April 1865—Davenport Union soldiers begin to arrive home. The 24th Iowa Volunteers are the first unit back
  • July 13, 1865—Winter, Crause & Co., whose sole business is the manufacture of hoop skirts, opens on 23 East 2nd Street in Davenport.
  • October 13, 1865—Davenport's post office is moved to the corner of 3rd and Perry Streets.
  • November 16, 1865—The Iowa Soldier's Orphan's Home (founded by Annie Wittenmyer) opens on the site of Camp Kinsman, a former Civil War camp in northeastern Davenport (present day Eastern Avenue). The first children, 150 left orphaned by the Civil War, arrive from Keokuk on the steamboat Keithsburg.
  • 1865—Grammar School Number 4 (later Madison School) is built at the corner of Main and Locust